|Number of Exams:
The CompTIA Network+ certification (Exam N10-007) is an internationally recognized validation of the technical knowledge required of foundation-level IT network practitioners.
This exam will certify the successful candidate has the knowledge and skills required
to troubleshoot, configure, and manage common network devices; establish basic network
connectivity; understand and maintain network documentation; identify network limitations and
weaknesses; and implement network security, standards, and protocols. The candidate will have a
basic understanding of enterprise technologies, including cloud and virtualization technologies.
CompTIA Network+ is accredited by ANSI to show compliance with the ISO 17024 Standard and, as such, undergoes regular reviews and updates to the exam objectives.
It is recommended for CompTIA Network+ candidates to have the following:
- CompTIA A+ certification or equivalent knowledge, though CompTIA A+ certification is not required.
- Have at least 9 to 12 months of work experience in IT networking.
1.0 Networking Concepts
Explain the purposes and uses of ports and protocols.
- Protocols and ports
- Protocol types
- Connection-oriented vs. connectionless
Explain devices, applications, protocols and services at their appropriate OSI layers.
- Layer 1 - Physical
- Layer 2 - Data link
- Layer 3 - Network
- Layer 4 - Transport
- Layer 5 - Session
- Layer 6 - Presentation
- Layer 7 - Application
Explain the concepts and characteristics of routing and switching.
- Properties of network traffic
- Segmentation and interface properties
- IPv6 concepts
- Performance concepts
- Port forwarding
- Access control list
- Distributed switching
- Packet-switched vs. circuit-switched network
- Software-defined networking
Given a scenario, configure the appropriate IP addressing components.
- Private vs. public
- Loopback and reserved
- Default gateway
- Virtual IP
- Subnet mask
- Address assignments
Compare and contrast the characteristics of network topologies, types and technologies.
- Wired topologies
- Wireless topologies
- Technologies that facilitate the Internet of Things (IoT)
Given a scenario, implement the appropriate wireless technologies and configurations.
- 802.11 standards
- Speed and distance requirements
- Channel bandwidth
- Channel bonding
- Site surveys
Summarize cloud concepts and their purposes.
- Types of services
- Cloud delivery models
- Connectivity methods
- Security implications/considerations
- Relationship between local and cloud resources
Explain the functions of network services.
- DNS service
- DHCP service
Given a scenario, deploy the appropriate cabling solution.
- Media types
- Plenum vs. PVC
- Connector types
- Termination points
- Copper cable standards
- Copper termination standards
- Ethernet deployment standards
Given a scenario, determine the appropriate placement of networking devices on a network and install/configure them.
- Wireless access point
- Media converter
- Wireless range extender
- VoIP endpoint
Explain the purposes and use cases for advanced networking devices.
- Multilayer switch
- Wireless controller
- Load balancer
- Proxy server
- VPN concentrator
- AAA/RADIUS server
- UTM appliance
- NGFW/Layer 7 firewall
- VoIP PBX
- VoIP gateway
- Content filter
Explain the purposes of virtualization and network storage technologies.
- Virtual networking components
- Network storage types
- Connection type
- Jumbo frame
Compare and contrast WAN technologies.
- Service type
- Transmission mediums
- Characteristics of service
3.0 Network Operations
Given a scenario, use appropriate documentation and diagrams to manage the network.
- Diagram symbols
- Standard operating procedures / work instructions
- Logical vs. physical diagrams
- Rack diagrams
- Change management documentation
- Wiring and port locations
- IDF/MDF documentation
- Network configuration and performance baselines
- Inventory management
Compare and contrast business continuity and disaster recovery concepts.
- Availability concepts
- SLA requirements
Explain common scanning, monitoring and patching processes and summarize their expected outputs.
- Event management
- SNMP monitors
Given a scenario, use remote access methods.
- HTTPS/management URL
- Remote file access
- Out-of-band management
Identify policies and best practices.
- Privileged user agreement
- Password policy
- On-boarding/off-boarding procedures
- Licensing restrictions
- International export controls
- Data loss prevention
- Remote access policies
- Incident response policies
- System life cycle
- Safety procedures and policies
4.0 Network Security
Summarize the purposes of physical security devices.
Explain authentication and access controls.
- Authorization, authentication and accounting
- Multifactor authentication
- Access control
Given a scenario, secure a basic wireless network.
- Authentication and authorization
Summarize common networking attacks.
- Social engineering
- Insider threat
- Logic bomb
- Rogue access point
- Evil twin
- DNS poisoning
- ARP poisoning
- Brute force
- VLAN hopping
- Exploits vs. vulnerabilities
Given a scenario, implement network device hardening.
- Changing default credentials
- Avoiding common passwords
- Upgrading firmware
- Patching and updates
- File hashing
- Disabling unnecessary services
- Using secure protocols
- Generating new keys
- Disabling unused ports
Explain common mitigation techniques and their purposes.
- Signature management
- Device hardening
- Change native VLAN
- Switch port protection
- Network segmentation
- Privileged user account
- File integrity monitoring
- Role separation
- Restricting access via ACLs
- Penetration testing
5.0 Network Troubleshooting and Tools
Explain the network troubleshooting methodology.
- Identify the problem
- Establish a theory of probable cause
- Test the theory to determine the cause
- Establish a plan of action to resolve the problem and identify potential effects
- Implement the solution or escalate as necessary
- Verify full system functionality and, if applicable, implement preventive measures
- Document findings, actions, and outcomes
Given a scenario, use the appropriate tool.
- Hardware tools
- Software tools
Given a scenario, troubleshoot common wired connectivity and performance issues.
- Incorrect pin-out
- Incorrect cable type
- Bad port
- Transceiver mismatch
- TX/RX reverse
- Duplex/speed mismatch
- Damaged cables
- Bent pins
- VLAN mismatch
- Network connection LED status indicators
Given a scenario, troubleshoot common wireless connectivity and performance issues.
- Incorrect antenna type
- Incorrect antenna placement
- Channel overlap
- Distance limitations
- Frequency mismatch
- Wrong SSID
- Wrong passphrase
- Security type mismatch
- Power levels
- Signal-to-noise ratio
Given a scenario, troubleshoot common network service issues.
- Names not resolving
- Incorrect gateway
- Incorrect netmask
- Duplicate IP addresses
- Duplicate MAC addresses
- Expired IP address
- Rogue DHCP server
- Untrusted SSL certificate
- Incorrect time
- Exhausted DHCP scope
- Blocked TCP/UDP ports
- Incorrect host-based firewall settings
- Incorrect ACL settings
- Unresponsive service
- Hardware failure
Alabama Computer Solutions is your best choice for CompTIA Network+,
CompTIA Network+ training,
CompTIA Network+ certification,
CompTIA Network+ certification boot camp,
CompTIA Network+ boot camp,
CompTIA Network+ certification training,
CompTIA Network+ boot camp training,
CompTIA Network+ boot camp certification,
CompTIA Network+ certification course,
CompTIA Network+ course,
training CompTIA Network+,
certification CompTIA Network+,
boot camp CompTIA Network+,
certification CompTIA Network+ boot camp,
certification CompTIA Network+ training,
boot camp CompTIA Network+ training,
certification CompTIA Network+ course.